I was so inspired by Teggy French's outfit, that I ordered the top and set out to make gingham culottes this past summer. Here is my version:
Although I originally intended to copy Teggy French's look wholesale, my friend Carol suggested that I steer away from the cotton gingham used in Teggy's Vivetta skirt because of its tendency to look "Suzy Homemaker." We searched the Garment District during Male Pattern Boldness Day back in August and came up with this beautiful houndstooth silk charmeuse. I got the last of the bolt--2.5 yards.
Helen's Closet recommends 4 yards of 54" fabric for view D. I barely squeezed the culottes out on 2.5 yards by abutting the straight edges and making a single cut.
I previously made the Winslows in a rayon challis here. Although I always thought that natural fibers were king, I do prefer the drape of the rayon challis version to this latest silk version. Plus, the challis is travel friendly because it doesn't need to be ironed.
I interfaced the waistband with muslin and used SewKeyse stay tape to interface the zipper area. I sewed french seams throughout.
The crotch seams didn't line up perfectly because of my own error (I am sure). Next time I will baste the pant back all the way from crotch to top back before inserting the zip. Then I will interface and insert the zip, followed by sewing down the waistband.
The waistband is created by simply folding a rectangle in half. If I make this again, I'd like to change the waistband to two pieces with the edge stitching on the inside facing piece. True Bias has a great tutorial for the Emerson pants.
I was pretty displeased with the stitch in the ditch on my first pair of Winslows, so I opted for a fell-stitched finish here. Hand sewing produced a much neater result!
Not sure how much use I will get out of this outfit as it is a bit dressy. The culottes are the proper length with heels but I was constantly worried I was going to trip over myself...;)