Monday, November 21, 2016

Cozy for the Holidays!




It's a shame I didn't sew this up last year when I purchased the Italian wool knit from Emma One Sock with McCalls 6844 in mind.  Better late than never...and just in time for the very late arrival of cool weather in the northeast.  I think this may quickly become my most worn garment of 2016!


Based on Pattern Review, I cut a size smaller (XS) and graded up to a small in the hips.  Reviewers also noted that the sleeves were tight so I graded those to a small as well.  Even though I abandoned the sleeves in favor of a vest.

The vest is as beautiful on the inside as the outside.






I used this tutorial for the continuous bias tape and this tutorial for a hong kong seam.  I catch stitched all seam allowances down. Quite laborious but worth it.

After finishing all the seams with the bias tape I was inspired to incorporate the black silk charmeuse into the collar as well.  I love the result.




It was tricky to reduce bulk when sewing the collar because the wool was so lofty. I graded the seams a good deal.



****
It was a busy fall with visits from family + weekends away in Atlanta, Philadelphia and California.   California was extra special because it was a girls weekend to wine country. Highly recommend Hanzell Winery in Sonoma for its picturesque and secluded location in the Mayacama mountains, chateau inspired by Clos Vougeuot in Burgundy, and informative tour of the production facilities and cave.  The tour + tasting is by appointment only which is nice because you don't have to deal with the crowds at the commercialized wineries along the wine trail.  We dined at Frances in San Francisco, Girl and the Fig in Sonoma and Michael Chiarrello's Bottega in Yountville.  Girl & The Fig was easily my favorite. Can't beat California produce + French cuisine....  


I am traveling to Bangkok, Thailand on Friday on business, but have extended my stay for a short weekend to sight-see.  Top of the list when I escape the conference room is a visit to the Jim Thompson House silk museum + custom clothes.  On my last trip to Bangkok, I had dresses made at Cotton House but would like to try a new tailor this time. On the off chance anyone reading this has had clothes made in Bangkok, any tailor recommendations? 

7 comments:

  1. This looks SO cozy! It's amazing how an interesting and luxurious fabric can elevate a simple pattern, isn't it? ps I'm super jealous of your travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allie! It came out completely differently than I expected and it was a nice surprise! Especially since the project before this was a wadder.

      Delete
  2. You always put such nice detailing into your garments! I think you're right -- you're going to wear this vest all the time. It's going to go with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! I'm happy I went the vest route because it ensures that my arms don't get itchy from the wool! Hoping to find a use for the leftover wool--I hate the waste of large scraps!

      Delete
  3. That looks very cosy, and must have taken a long time with all that handstitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the handstitching took a long time. My second hand serger hasn't been working since I purchased it, so I didn't have much choice in terms of finishing since I wanted pretty insides.

      Delete